Should you be concerned about drugs and alcohol in your Tasmanian workplace? And if you are, what can you do about it?
Worksafe Tasmania has produced an excellent brochure that looks at a range of issues around drug and alcohol use in the workplace. Called Alcohol and other drugs, it asks key questions such as:
Why should I address alcohol and other drugs in my Tasmanian workplace?
- Alcohol and drugs can negatively impact workplace safety, productivity and employee health.
- In Australia, around 9% of employees drink alcohol while at work.
- Excessive consumption of alcohol and drugs has been linked to a wide variety of issues, including accidents, injuries, violence, social isolation and health problems.
- Possession and use of illicit drugs is illegal, and the use of these drugs in the workplace is unacceptable.
What can I do to address alcohol and other drugs in my workplace?
- Develop a workplace drug and alcohol policy.
- Identify and address factors in your workplace that could be contributing to the inappropriate use of alcohol or drugs.
- Educate your employees of the dangers of drugs and alcohol.
- Provide support for employees needing help.
- Conduct drug and alcohol testing in your workplace, including pre-employment testing, random testing and testing following accidents or near miss incidents.
Where can I go for more information?
There are many organisations that can help you with information on alcohol and drug use in the workplace. And, there are organisations such as Integrity Sampling that can help you develop a workplace drug and alcohol policy, educate your workforce, including management and employees and conduct drug and alcohol testing in your workplace.
Integrity Sampling has three branches across Tasmania, including Hobart, Devonport and Launceston. Phone us on 1300 SALIVA or go to our contact page to submit a form to find out more information on our services.
To download a copy of Alcohol and other drugs brochure, go to the Worksafe Tasmania website.