It might not get Millennials and Generation Zs’ Snapchatters, Instagramers and YouTubers excited, but the Drager DrugTest 5000 does get the hearts of Integrity Sampling’s consultants racing just a little. What is the Drager DrugTest 5000 and how has it helped to revolutionize drug testing in the 21st Century?
The Drager DrugTest 5000 is a drug testing sampling and analysis unit in one. It’s used by many police forces around the world, including in Australia, to conduct roadside drug testing. And it’s the unit that all Integrity Sampling technicians use to carry out workplace drug testing using saliva samples. Integrity Sampling are proud to be the exclusive Australian oral fluid workplace testing provider for the Drager DrugTest 5000, which was recently verified to comply with requirements of Appendix C of Australian/New Zealand Standard AS/NZS 4760:2019. The Drager DrugTest 5000 is the first and currently only analyser to comply and achieve verification to the new standard.
While what’s under the hood of the Drager DrugTest 5000 is impressive and where the real work happens, in practice the process is quite simple:
- The tester hands a ‘cassette’ to the person being tested. In basic terms, the cassette is a saliva collection device.
- The person being tested places the cassette inside their mouth and rubs it around their teeth, gums and cheeks. An integrated indicator shows when enough saliva has been collected by a blue discoloration.
- The tester then slides the test cassette into the Drager DrugTest 5000.
- The DrugTest 5000 then analyses the saliva sample immediately. It only takes a few minutes.
- The result is displayed on the screen of the unit.
Workplace drug testing results
Unfortunately, it’s a fact of life in many safety sensitive workplaces that drug testing may have to be undertaken. Safety must be the first concern in any working environment. So, if you are involved in workplace drug testing, either as an employer or employee, there is only one thing that really counts. That is, a correct answer is the only good answer. Correct answers lead to reliable decisions.
A test result saying a person does not have drugs in their system when they really do – a false negative – may lead to serious outcomes for the individual and all those around him or her. But a false positive result may also have serious consequences:
- for a worker, being unfairly penalised and/or stigmatised;
- for the employer, having to shut down or delay work causing inconvenience to many and loss of productivity.
That’s why it’s vital that everyone has confidence in workplace drug testing services and know that their testing provider are competent and qualified to deliver the correct answers.
Want to know more about the Drager DrugTest 5000 or workplace drug testing? Give us a call on 1300 SALIVA. We could talk about the DrugTest 5000 for days, but we promise to curb our enthusiasm!
The Drager DrugTest 5000 has revolutionised workplace and roadside drug testing.